4 Essential Items Every Coach Needs To Get Better

on Monday, September 17, 2012

Folks who are fixer uppers or tinkerers know that the key to handling any situation is having a nice toolbox. Whether its needle nosed pliers or a power saw or cordless drill...these things will prove to be essential for any job that needs to be completed. And it's the same with coaching! We need to have a toolbox that is stocked so that we're able to deal with the disgruntled player, the starter whose spot is about to be taken, as well as the athletic director that wants you to fundraise a ridiculous amount of money each year.

Here's four things that every coach should have in their toolbox:

Soccer Drills

Mentors - When I took my first head coaching job at age 24, my toolbox only had a hammer and a couple of nails clanking around in it...not nearly enough for the repair project I'd taken on! I was certainly enthusiastic, but that needed to be combined with knowledge...and I was a bit short on that. Enter our men's basketball coach who was a legend in his field and had a head full of coaching genius that he was willing to share. So I'd haul my butt up to his office about once a week and we'd chat. Sometimes about my team, sometimes about his, but each and every time I learned something from this man.

4 Essential Items Every Coach Needs To Get Better

Peers - Here's one thing I know: coaches love talking about coaching. Once you find folks with a similar philosophy, make it a point to talk to them and pick their brains. I truly believe that coaching is coaching so it doesn't matter if you talk to the football coach or the soccer coach...if you share the same philosophical foundation, you've set yourself up for fun and challenging conversations about coaching.

Seminars/Conventions - Be a coaching nerd! Go to your sport's convention...and attend the sessions (not just the social stuff) and hang out after it's over and chat with the presenter. Go to local clinics even if you don't think you'll learn something new...you certainly won't if you don't go! Plus other coaches will be there and maybe you'll be able to chat them up and get a different viewpoint on an old problem. This will help keep you current in your field.

Books - I read a lot of books. I read books for myself in order to grow in my leadership and influence. I also read books that I think will be good for my team to read during the season. Sometimes they're sports books, sometimes they're business oriented, and other times they're faith-based...but what they all share in common is that I think that they'll make me a better coach.

What do you think? What would you add to the list?

4 Essential Items Every Coach Needs To Get Better

0 comments:

Post a Comment